Encourages Action to Enhance Exchanges
Washington, DC (June 25, 2015) – The National Health Council (NHC) applauded the decision by the U.S. Supreme Court to uphold cost subsidies for people who purchase health plans through both state-based or federally-facilitated insurance exchanges.
In response to the King v. Burwell decision, NHC Chief Executive Officer Marc Boutin released the following statement:
“The Affordable Care Act has proven to be an effective way of ensuring people with chronic diseases and disabilities have access to meaningful insurance coverage. I am thrilled that more than 6 million individuals who rely on financial assistance to pay for health insurance can now breathe a sigh of relief. The Supreme Court made the right decision – a decision that will enhance coverage and improve patient access to quality health care. Now that this decision is behind us, let’s focus our thoughts and actions on strengthening and enhancing the exchanges to better serve the patient community.”
For More Information:
- U.S. Supreme Court decision - http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/14-114_qol1.pdf
- More than 6 million people would have lost cost subsidies - http://kff.org/health-reform/press-release/new-analysis-details-impact-on-residents-in-different-states-if-the-u-s-supreme-court-rules-for-challengers-in-king-v-burwell/
- About the NHC – www.nationalhealthcouncil.org
About the National Health Council:
- Founded in 1920, the National Health Council (NHC) is the only organization that brings together all segments of the health community to provide a united and effective voice for the more than 133 million people living with chronic diseases and disabilities and their family caregivers. Made up of more than 100 national health-related organizations and businesses, its core membership includes the nation’s leading patient advocacy organizations, which control its governance. Other members include professional and membership associations, nonprofit organizations with an interest in health, and major pharmaceutical, health insurance, medical device, and biotechnology companies.
- Nancy Hughes, firstname.lastname@example.org, cell: 703-608-9709