When applying, please submit a cover letter detailing your experience as it relates to the duties and responsibilities for this position along with your desired salary level. Please submit a cover letter and resume directly to: NHCPositions@nhcouncil.org.
The National Health Council (NHC) brings diverse organizations together to forge consensus and drive patient-centered health policy. Founded in 1920, the NHC is the only organization that brings together all segments of the health community to provide a united voice for the more than 160 million people with chronic diseases and disabilities and their family caregivers. Made up of more than 125 national health-related organizations and businesses, the NHC's core membership includes the nation’s leading patient advocacy organizations, which control its governance and policy-making process. Other members include health-related associations and nonprofit organizations including the provider, research, and family caregiver communities; and businesses representing biopharmaceutical, device, diagnostic, generic, and payer organizations.
The NHC’s strategic goals are:
- Promote increased access to affordable, high-value, sustainable health care.
- Grow an engaged, patient-centered, multi-stakeholder membership that is representative of the health ecosystem.
- Enhance brand awareness and engagement among key audiences.
The NHC provides access to deep policy resources and expertise on a broad range of complex issues that impact all people with chronic conditions. We advocate for medical innovations that reflect priorities by patients and their family caregivers. We promote increased access to affordable, high-value, sustainable health care.
The NHC’s broad public policy agenda is set by our Board of Directors, including the Board Policy Committee, both of which are multi-stakeholder bodies with patient advocacy group leaders as majority members. Throughout the year, multi-stakeholder Action Teams explore the policy goals set by the Board, analyze current legislation and the environment, and provide recommendations and strategic direction.
The NHC is seeking a highly motivated, organized and detail-oriented Development Associate. This position will be instrumental in building and tracking relationships with donors, monitoring deadlines, working cross-functionally across the organization, and supporting the overall efforts of the development program.
Successful applicants will possess excellent communication, project management and customer service skills; have a desire to reach and exceed revenue goals; have knowledge of MS Office Suite, internet and social media tools; and be familiar with navigating and managing information in databases. Experience in a non-profit environment, managing multiple projects and deadlines, and sales and/or fundraising experience desirable.
Reports to: Executive Vice President, Strategic Initiatives
- An undergraduate degree is required.
- A minimum of two years of experience in a nonprofit health care field/setting required. Experience in development or corporate fundraising is a plus.
- Communications: Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to relate effectively with a diverse group of individuals and organizations, including public speaking skills. Must be able to carefully proof own work.
- Technology: Strong Microsoft Office skills, including experience with Word, Excel, and Outlook. Must have the ability to learn new and/or customized software. Knowledge and expertise using customer relationship management systems a plus.
- Program Management: Close attention to detail. Experience and demonstrated skills in organization and management of multiple simultaneous projects and assignments with the ability to set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Collaboration: Effective at working with others to reach common goals and objectives.
- Relationship Building: Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships across different levels of the organization and externally. Can effectively present professionally. Demonstrated ability to work in a cross functional team environment.
- Development/Fundraising: Experience in development and fundraising activities is a plus.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Tracking and managing sponsorships, contracts, grants and other fundraising activities.
- Maintaining relationships with donor organizations through telephone calls, emails, and meetings.
- Submitting grant and sponsorship applications through online processes.
- Supporting senior leadership in development activities including scheduling meetings, preparing reports, and outreach activities.
- Continuously updating current and accurate donor and prospect information in database.
This position requires high-level confidentiality for access to a variety of confidential and proprietary information.
For more information, please contact NHCPositions@nhcouncil.org.