The National Health Council (NHC) brings diverse organizations together to forge consensus and drive patient-centered health policy. Founded in 1920, the NHC is the only organization that brings together all segments of the health community to provide a united voice for the more than 160 million people with chronic diseases and disabilities and their family caregivers. Made up of more than 125 national health-related organizations and businesses, the NHC's core membership includes the nation’s leading patient advocacy organizations, which control its governance and policy-making process. Other members include health-related associations and nonprofit organizations including the provider, research, and family caregiver communities; and businesses representing biopharmaceutical, device, diagnostic, generic, and payer organizations.
The NHC’s strategic goals are:
- Promote increased access to affordable, high-value, sustainable health care.
- Grow an engaged, patient-centered, multi-stakeholder membership that is representative of the health ecosystem.
- Enhance brand awareness and engagement among key audiences.
The NHC provides access to deep policy resources and expertise on a broad range of complex issues that impact all people with chronic conditions. We advocate for medical innovations that reflect priorities by patients and their family caregivers. We promote increased access to affordable, high-value, sustainable health care.
The NHC’s broad public policy agenda is set by our Board of Directors, including the Board Policy Committee, both of which are multi-stakeholder bodies with patient advocacy group leaders as majority members. Throughout the year, multi-stakeholder Action Teams explore the policy goals set by the Board, analyze current legislation and the environment, and provide recommendations and strategic direction.
The NHC is seeking a Director of Policy. This position will be involved in all aspects of the NHC’s public policy, legislative, and regulatory agendas under the supervision of the Vice President of Policy and Government Affairs.
National Health Council, Director of Policy
- Minimum 5 years of combined Capitol Hill, Executive Branch, government relations, and/or public policy experience.
- Experience working for a non-profit patient advocacy organization or association is preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of and experience with health care policy.
- Experience drafting and/or analyzing health care legislation and/or regulation.
- Bachelor’s degree at a minimum.
- Superior interpersonal, presentation, and written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and resource management skills, including the ability to prioritize and handle multiple, simultaneous priorities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Regularly monitor and analyze health care-related legislation and regulation. Issues may include, but are not limited to, Affordable Care Act, FDA user fee implementation, health care payment and delivery models, health care and drug costs and prices, value assessment, and health care quality measurement and programs.
- Draft and prepare advocacy materials such as comment letters, position statements, talking points, and blog posts.
- Conduct regular meetings of NHC member-organization working groups to discuss policy issues and develop advocacy strategies.
- Develop and implement tactical plans derived from Board-developed advocacy goals.
- Represent the NHC at external stakeholder meetings.
- Assist department colleagues with programmatic initiatives as needed.
- Assist in planning of the NHC’s annual Washington Representatives Retreat, the policy department’s flagship member event.
For more information, please contact NHCPositions@nhcouncil.org.