The Payroll and Benefits Administrator will be responsible for biweekly payroll of the National staff and will administer health and welfare plans including enrollments, terminations and reconciliation of monthly billings from insurance carriers and benefit providers. This position has a dotted line reporting relationship to the Vice President of Human Resources. This is a full-time exempt position and is based in the Washington, D.C. office. The office will be relocating to Rosslyn, VA in 2020.
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Payroll and Finance Administration:
- Performs payroll-related functions including but not limited to processing new hires, termination status changes, tax changes, wage garnishments, deductions, and direct deposit.
- Reviews and verifies payroll data in a timely manner, calculates overtime and other pay premiums, and enters payroll data. Prepares manual checks as necessary.
- Ensure accurate reconciliation of semi-monthly payroll reports, W2s and time off balances.
- Oversees maintenance of payroll records and files including but not limited to paid time off.
- Responds to routine inquiries concerning payroll deductions and accruals, wage garnishments, child support payments, and employment verifications.
- Posts journal entries and prepares month-end reports. Reconciles all payroll-related accounts and activities.
- Reviews and reconciles all benefits statements for payment.
- Manage the Association’s 401k account assisting employees and providing support for 5500 preparation and testing as well as releasing necessary notifications either through the 401k web portal or by email. Prepare and ensure accuracy of semi-monthly 401(k) contribution funding to employee accounts.
- Review state registrations prepared by outside firm, update any required schedules (i.e. board of trustees, staff listing, etc.), obtain needed signatures and notarize registrations and return to preparer for state submission.
- Reconcile the monthly AMEX statement to submitted Concur reports submitted by staff. Prepare journal entries to record expenses by department.
- Set up Concur access for staff and request AMEX cards through American Express @ Work website for staff as requested by manager.
- Reconcile all balance sheet accounts related to payroll and prepare needed schedules for the audit and 990 related to payroll.
Benefits and Human Resources Administration:
- Facilitates the onboarding of new staff by preparing offer letters, pre-employment background checks, setting up records in the HRIS and ensuring new staff have all necessary materials and information including but not limited to computer login information, the employee handbook and the telework policy (if applicable). Manages the completion of the Form I9s and enters them into the eVerify system.
- Manages employee benefit programs including but not limited to health insurance, long term disability insurance, life insurance, COBRA, FMLA, 401k plan, workers’ compensation.
- Works with benefits broker and Vice President of Human Resources on annual open enrollment process including but not limited to reviewing benefit guides and presentations and setting up employee meetings. Ensures that premiums are accurate in enrollment system and ensures employee deductions are accurate.
- Responds to employee’s benefit questions, resolves problems regarding access to or payment of benefits, orients newly eligible employees, and processes enrollment forms and change requests.
- Maintains online and paper personnel files ensuring files are complete and contain all of the necessary documentation.
- Prepares, submits and maintains human resources and employee benefits data and reports including the annual merit review cycle and the 1095C for Affordable Care Act reporting.
- Supports the VP of Human Resources with the administration of compliance documentation and training and other related human resources activities related to talent management and human resources.
- Convey a professional and positive image that reflects favorably on the Association at all times.
- Bachelor's Degree (BA) from four-year college or university or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three to five years of progressive payroll and benefits administration experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Ability to be discreet and keep confidential matters of importance.
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, and percentages.
- Computer skills required: Finance Software, Human Resource Systems; Inventory Software; Microsoft Office; Payroll Systems; Project Management Software. Proficiency in ADP payroll software and familiarity with Raiser’s Edge and Concur a plus.
The ALS Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity