Reports to: SVP, Programs and Education Wage Category: FT/Exempt
ABOUT THE COMPANY
The National Kidney Foundation is the leading organization in the U.S. dedicated to the awareness, prevention and treatment of kidney disease for hundreds of thousands of healthcare professionals, millions of patients and their families and tens of millions of Americans at risk.
The Senior Patient Medical Writer should have a strong knowledge of health-related science and be able to break down complex concepts and medical jargon and translate it into easy to understand language for our specific target audiences. NKF’s patient and family constituency includes: the general public, those at risk for chronic kidney disease (CKD), early stage CKD patients, people on dialysis, transplant recipients, living donors and potential living donors, and family members. The Senior Patient Medical Writer will be responsible for creating and managing patient-centric medical content and tools for NKF’s online “A to Z Health Guide” www.kidney.org/atoz to motivate people affected by kidney disease to be involved and proactive in their healthcare. NKF’s patient educational material is developed and presented in a variety of formats including: web, print, video, webinar, audio, etc. In addition, The Senior Patient Medical Writer will assist with NKF’s development of serialized patient education. This position will work closely with a team of medical writers responsible for all of NKF’s patient and professional education materials as well as with the Communications, Marketing, Creative Services, and Web teams at NKF.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ability to write effectively, clearly, and with consistent language for all educational levels.
- Excels in synthesizing scientific research and professional information into a patient friendly format.
- Works collaboratively with and supports multi-departmental efforts and projects. Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with NKF’s patient and professional members/volunteers as well as with NKF Staff.
- Manages relationships with external partners and is expected to become a subject matter expert.
- Researches kidney related health news and scientific journals, professional guidelines, etc.
- Employs health literacy and numeracy principles in content development
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required. Master’s degree preferred. Degree in health education, nursing, nutrition, or other healthcare discipline.
- Minimum 5 years’ work-related experience in writing and editing patient educational content in online and print formats.
- Ability to accurately break down medical information into simple terms.
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with patients and professions across the country from our diverse constituency as well as with internal staff.
- Clear, well developed oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Creative self-starter with close attention to detail who is able to see the big picture, balance priorities, and remain flexible.
- Experience working in a multi-faceted not-for-profit organization or online medical education organization.
- Knowledge of kidney disease and its treatment is preferred.
- Knowledge of the current health care environment, trends and challenges impacting both patients and health care professionals.
- Excellent time management, project management and organizational skills.
- Strong analytical, planning, and proactive problem solving/decision making skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of an integrated team.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and knowledge of web design and search engine optimization
Please apply via email with your resume, cover letter, and salary expectations: