The Alpha-1 Foundation is a voluntary health organization focused on finding a cure, providing support and improving the lives of people affected by Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency worldwide. Please review the job description below and if you are interested, please send a resume, cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com.
General Job Description:
Under the supervision of the Development department, the Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for the recruitment and management of all volunteers within the Foundation. This position will oversee our volunteers as they assist with strengthening various programs and connecting the Alpha-1 patient and medical communities. Volunteers comprise the Foundation’s support network of peer lead support groups and are necessary for advocacy and public policy engagement. Our ideal candidate must possess excellent organizational skills and the ability to communicate with individuals from diverse backgrounds and experience.
Job Duties and Responsibilities (Other duties may be assigned as appropriate.)
- Coordinate with various departments to assess volunteer staffing needs within the Foundation
- Conduct and/or arrange for volunteer orientation and training
- Maintain volunteer service descriptions for each volunteer assignment
- Develop and manage volunteer policies, procedures, and standards of volunteer service
- Organize and participate in volunteer recognition programs and special events
- Evaluate all aspects of volunteer programs to ensure effectiveness and recommend/implement changes as appropriate for increased volunteer engagement and participation
- Maintain accurate records and provide timely statistical and activity reports on volunteer participation
- Attend events within the community to attract qualified candidates
- Work with Community Engagement and Communications departments to publicize opportunities for volunteers
- Develop and maintain relationships with key members of the community and volunteers
- Supervise volunteer staff to resolve grievances and promote cooperation and interest
- Manage all communications regarding volunteer activities and relevant information
- Conduct post-project calls to track successes and identify problems so that relationships are maintained, and system improvements are made
Qualifications and skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Related experience working in a non-profit, managing volunteer programs, leading teams and/or organizations
- Knowledge of management principles and evaluation techniques related to volunteer staffing programs
- Proficient in basic computer applications, such as word processing, spreadsheets, database and internet usage
- Detailed record keeping skills
- Excellent organization and planning skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Excellent communications skills both orally and in writing
- Detail- oriented
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of staff and volunteers
- Ability to effectively manage a wide array of tasks, projects, and responsibilities
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes weekends, and some evenings.
- Some travel is required
The Alpha-1 Foundation is a non-profit organization established in 1995 by three individuals affected by Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency. The Foundation has developed a solid infrastructure to promote research and development of new therapies. The Foundation has invested more than $76 million dollars to support research and programs in the US and globally. For more information, please visit www.alpha1.org.