ABOUT THE COMPANY
The National Kidney Foundation is the leading organization in the U.S. dedicated to the awareness, prevention and treatment of kidney disease for hundreds of thousands of healthcare professionals, millions of patients and their families and tens of millions of Americans at risk.
Reporting to the Vice President of Patient Engagement, the Director of Patient and Family Communication will oversee and lead NKF Cares, the National Kidney Foundation’s toll-free telephone Help Line as well as NKF’s Online Communities. This position will be responsible for maintaining high level customer service in all aspects of communication with NKF’s patient and family constituency which includes: those at risk for chronic kidney disease (CKD), early stage CKD patients, people on dialysis, transplant recipients, living donors and potential living donors, and family members.
Currently the NKF Cares team consists of 3 full-time and 3 part-time staff who will directly report to the Director of Patient and Family Communication. The NKF Cares team is primarily responsible for answering phone calls, emails, letters, and Facebook messages from patients and families affected by kidney disease. Cares staff provide emotional support, listen to people’s concerns, give general information on the topics raised, and refer people to sources of additional support or information. The Director of Patient and Family Communication along with the NKF Cares team will be responsible for tracking all calls and sending brochures as requested through NKF’s database, Salesforce. Additionally, the NKF Cares team is responsible for posting NKF’s Ask the Dr. Blog and monitoring NKF’s Online Communities.
The Director of Patient and Family Communication will also be responsible for the growth, oversight and support of ongoing interaction/engagement in NKF’s Online Communities. Currently, NKF has 5 Online Communities: Early Stage CKD, Dialysis, Transplant, Living Donation, and Parents of Children with CKD.
The Director of Patient and Family Communication will work closely with the Vice President of Patient Engagement to oversee success and growth of the NKF Cares program and NKF’s Online Communities including but not limited to, tracking metrics, training new staff, and quality improvement initiatives. The position would also work closely with NKF’s marketing and education departments to ensure the patient voice is accurately represented in communications.
This is an exciting opportunity to learn and help fulfill the mission of the National Kidney Foundation, a major non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of people affected by kidney disease across the country.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage 3 full-time and 3 part-time staff.
- Monitor, moderate and support online community growth and member engagement.
- Develop and update standard response templates and implement customer services best practices.
- Respond to inquiries via phone, mail and email to ensure that NKF constituents receive needed support and information.
- Ensure that that delivery of information is accurate, consistent and current.
- Input call/email information into the NKF database and select publications to be mailed out.
- Track, monitor, and report trends in call content and volume.
- Produces analytic reports monthly for NKF Cares and Online Communities to analyze performance including successes and opportunities for improvement.
- Provide ongoing quality evaluation and assessment NKF Cares Helpline.
- Train new and current staff ongoing as needed.
- Exceptional customer service skills. Able to communicate sensitively and patiently by phone and email.
- Experience managing staff, ideally in a call center.
- Social work or counseling degree a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Health care experience and knowledge is preferred.
- Comfortable with general computer tasks and Internet navigation.
- Excellent interpersonal, time management and organizational skills. Ability to work with all levels of staff, volunteers and the public in a professional manner.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented. Ability to multi-task.
- Excellent word processing skills, proficient in WordPerfect or Microsoft Word for Windows, email. Ability to learn and utilize new software with ease.
- Bilingual abilities are a plus, but not required.
- Performs additional duties, as required.
Please apply via email with your resume, cover letter, and salary expectations: