About The Company
The National Kidney Foundation is the leading organization in the U.S. dedicated to the awareness, prevention and treatment of kidney disease for hundreds of thousands of healthcare professionals, millions of patients and their families and tens of millions of Americans at risk.
Department: CEO’s Group
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Wage Category: FT/Exempt
The Senior Vice President, Government Relations, will lead and manage NKF’s advocacy programs across Congress, the administration, including agencies within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) such as FDA, CMS, and NIH. This person will be responsible for the development and implementation of NKF’s policy agenda by directing NKF’s policies and objectives involving local, state and federal government affairs.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee all aspects of NKF’s advocacy program, including Congress, the Administration, regulatory agencies, state and local advocacy, and grass tops and grassroots programs. Oversee development and attainment of NKF’s annual and long-term government relations and policy goals and ensure that all parts of the organization are aligned toward achieving these goals.
- Ensure that NKF develops, nurtures, and sustains positive relationships with key elected officials, relevant government agencies such as CMS, NIH and FDA, other kidney-related organizations, and other stakeholders that can influence NKF’s agenda.
- Engage and supervise all outside consultants retained by NKF to support its advocacy agenda.
- Oversee NKF’s involvement with stakeholder coalitions and build and manage coalitions as necessary to advance NKF’s policy agenda.
- Strengthen and oversee NKF’s grassroots and grass tops programs to ensure the kidney patient community’s voice is elevated and heard.
- Represent NKF before Congress, agencies, and other bodies as necessary and appropriate.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Communications to increase visibility of NKF’s policy positions and advocacy activities with internal and external audiences.
- Identify and oversee creation of all advocacy materials, including fact sheets, leave behinds, testimony, and regulatory filings.
- Collaborate with other members of the Senior Leadership team to share NKF’s programs, research and activities with policy makers to enhance their knowledge of NKF’s expertise and reach.
- Advocate for legislation that advances the interests of the NKF and its patients.
- Evaluate pending legislation and regulations that may impact the NKF.
- Develop and execute positions and strategies on legislative, policy, regulatory and political issues.
- Respond to congressional inquiries/needs and create opportunities to improve congressional understating of kidney disease.
- Lead the development and implementation of a comprehensive government relations and advocacy strategy.
- Manage NKF’s advocacy professional staff.
- Perform additional duties as required.
- 10+ years as a government affair professional in Washington, DC.
- Experience working on health and/or disease research policy issues.
- Experience working with, or in, a patient advocacy organization.
- Strong research, writing, analytical and persuasive communication skills.
- Ability to represent NKF in public settings articulately and persuasively, including in one-on-one meetings with legislators and staff, testimony before congressional or regulatory bodies, and at conferences and other events where NKF’s voice is heard.
- Strong relationships with key legislators in Congress on both sides of the aisle.
- Strong relationships with key staff in federal agencies such as CMS, NIH, and FDA.
- Proven track record developing and implementing successful, cost-effective organizational governmental affairs strategies.
- Ability to work at a fast pace and juggle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Experience building, leading, and mentoring a strong staff in as collegial, mutually supportive environment.
- Excellent political acumen.
- Public speaking experience.
Please apply via email with your resume, cover letter, and salary expectations: email@example.com